Complete Clarity Solicitors


Refusal of Placing Request for School Children in Scotland – Education Law – Glasgow

the times
Family Law solicitors
family law
the law society

If a local authority has refused your school placing a request, our Education Lawyers are here to support you. We understand you may be feeling anxious and confused about your options, but most of all for your child. Our team will explain the legislation and the procedures involved in clear, straightforward terms, allowing you to make an informed decision about your next steps.

To find out how we can help if your placing request is denied, contact our Education Law Solicitors.

How does the refusal school placing request appeals process work? Education Law Solicitor

f your placing request is refused, the local council must let you know why. If you disagree with the decision, you have a right to appeal to the council’s Education Appeal Committee (EAC). You will have 28 days to submit your appeal, starting from the date you received the refusal letter, and you can do this online using the council’s form.

An experienced Education Lawyer’s advice and support is invaluable when writing your appeal. The information you provide must be relevant, factual, honest and always consistent with your child’s best interests and individual needs. Your solicitor will ensure your appeal meets these standards and that the EAC is clear about your child’s circumstances and why you are appealing.

The EAC will either grant or refuse your appeal. If it is denied, you can lodge a further appeal with the sheriff court within 28 days. This stage is particularly complex so legal advice from an Education Lawyer is highly recommended. If you are unhappy with the outcome of the sheriff court case, you may be able to apply for judicial review of the local council’s decision-making process.

We can support you throughout what can be a complicated procedure. We will ensure your appeal is supported by robust and reliable evidence and presented in the most effective way possible so that you have the best chance of success.

Can I resubmit a placing request?

If your placing request is denied, you can submit a new application for another school or the same school but at a later date. It is important to be aware that if you do appeal, you cannot submit another placing request while the appeals process is ongoing.

Contact our Education Lawyers in Glasgow & Edinburgh, Scotland – Lawyers for Glasgow

We can guide you on all aspects of placing requests, from submitting an application to lodging an EAC or sheriff court appeal. To discuss your individual needs with our Education Law Team, call us on 0808 169 5822 or complete our online enquiry form. We offer a free* first consultation, where we will listen carefully to your circumstances, explain how we can help and answer your questions.

Get in touch
We’re here to help

Please note: We do not offer legal aid

request call icon

What happens next?